Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

SteveM Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 12:06:16 PM(UTC)
SteveM

Groups: Registered

Hi all,

I am new to the forum, I need some advise. I am looking into purchasing a Circut Expression for some projects I have planned. I will be using the machine to cut vinyl and magnetic pads that are a bit thicker than paper. I see that a deep cutting accessory is available for such cutting applications, which of course I will purchase along with the main unit. I do have a few question that could not be answered by the manual.

1) I need to cut basic shapes like rectangles, squares and circles of different sizes, do the cartridges that ship with the unit provide this ability?
2) does the unit have software to allow you to execute your designs on a PC?
3) can the unit scribe? I may want to layer materials and scribe the top layer with a design and leave the bottom layers intact.
4) can you create custom designs, or does the unit operate from the cartriges only?

Thanks

Edited by user Friday, November 19, 2010 12:11:54 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Runningmomof2 Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, November 19, 2010 12:17:41 PM(UTC)
Runningmomof2

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 1075 time(s) in 503 post(s)
I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge
Question 1. Can you do basic shapes? yes the cartridge that normally comes with Expression is Plantin Schoolbook and does have your basic shapes square, circle, star, etc.
Question 2. Does the unit have software to allow you to execute your designs on a PC? Yes with a but. You can by Provocraft's
design studio. This allows you to alter the shapes on any cartridge. However you can not make your own shapes. There is an after market product called Sir Cuts a Lot. It is not made by Provocraft and therefore it will void your warranty with Provocraft.
Question 3. Can the unit scribe? I am not really sure about scribing. What I do know is that each layer/color is cut seperately.
Question 4. Can you create custom designs? see the full answer on question 2 about this.
HTH
Doxieluv01 Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 21, 2010 2:37:49 PM(UTC)
Doxieluv01

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2261 time(s) in 1788 post(s)
Runningmomof2 wrote:
Question 2. Does the unit have software to allow you to execute your designs on a PC? Yes with a but. You can by Provocraft's
design studio. This allows you to alter the shapes on any cartridge. However you can not make your own shapes.

you can create your own shapes using basic shapes and welding them together. many people have done this.

The hot air balloon was made by welding basic shapes together to get the look I wanted.