Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Ken's Kreations Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 5:40:22 PM(UTC)
Ken's Kreations

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 1942 time(s) in 496 post(s)
So today I made 3 cards for family members and I feel so deflated. When I first started making them I got a huge response from my. Friends and family's and lately when they open my cards they are just tossed to the side. It would not be such a big deal if I did not put so much time, effort and money into them......but I try to make them personal. So when they get as much reaction as a store bought card it makes me wonder why I do it..

I know this sounds like a pity party, but a lot of my personal time is put into them and I think that time could be focused on other. Projects....so you might see a difference on my blog..not sure if I will quit cards, but I am just so deflated on it. I know people who don't do crafts do not realize how much goes into our craft projects....maybe I am just being a baby..

Mellow Mellow Mellow

Ken
cristine Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 5:46:57 PM(UTC)
cristine

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 86 time(s) in 66 post(s)
Hi, I totally understand how you feel. I rarely make stuff for people. I love to do scrapbook layouts, but I do them for me. I do them for me because I appreciate the work, time, and effort I put into them. I used to make for other people, and would get my feelings hurt when it was tossed aside like a 99cent card from Wal-Mart. Now, they get the 99cent card and I get the pretty layouts.BigGrin

1 user thanked cristine for this useful post.
Ken's Kreations on 4/28/2013(UTC)
nightmare/fan Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 5:50:08 PM(UTC)
nightmare/fan

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 265 time(s) in 138 post(s)
I know sometimes it feels like unless another crafter is looking at the things you make they just are appreciated as much, but I think we keep doing it because it pleases us. So don't give up on what others might not notice! I feel like that sometimes when people look at my scrapbooks, unless they are scrappers themselves they don't seem to always appreciate the little things that took some much time and creativity on a page, but myself and other crafters know and I think that is all I need to keep me going!
Jeanne
 1 user thanked nightmare/fan for this useful post.
MamaC Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 5:56:46 PM(UTC)
MamaC

United States

Was thanked: 1540 time(s) in 640 post(s)
When I started making cards and sending them to family and friends, I soon discovered that I was wasting my time on some of the folks! So, I decided only the family and friends that appreciated my handmade cards would receive cards that I created. Everybody else, gets store-boughten' cards! The same is true of Christmas, Valentines, Birthday....whatever the occasion!

I refuse to let those folks that don't appreciate the work that goes into creating a card, spoil my pleasure, personal satisfaction, and creative outlet! I just keep creating cards! I donate some, create gifts with others, and sell a few! I even have stacks of cards that my children will have to decide what to do with after 'I am gone'!!

Right now, I am creating cards for OPERATION WRITE HOME. I am creating and putting into a box that I will mail to OWH eventually.

So, Ken, just follow your heart! Don't get discouraged about creating cards! Find an outlet for your creations and keep up the great work that you are doing!

Carolyn/MamaC

Just got to add this footnote!! I have posted two threads about Black and White Mother's Day Cards and the Note Card Portfolio. I also put it on my Facebook, too. Well, not long after I did that, I received an order for 10 of the Mother's Day Cards and 2 Note Card Portfolios...from a family member! So, you just never know! Keep on creating those cards, Ken!! Life is full of good surprises!

Edited by user Sunday, April 28, 2013 6:00:16 PM(UTC)  | Reason: add a foot note

2 users thanked MamaC for this useful post.
Ken's Kreations on 4/28/2013(UTC), ArcadiaFLNative on 4/29/2013(UTC)
SAR Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 5:58:14 PM(UTC)
SAR

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Ken,
I do not think you are a baby or having a pity party. I really understand what you are saying! I have become very discriminating in deciding who I give a handmake card. I, too, realize that non-crafters do not have any idea how much of ourselves go into these. I try to forgive them for that! But really, I understand we don't do this just to get praise, but I don't think it is unreasonable to expect someone to be appreciative.
But, we really do like doing this, right? So, what to do? I am doing much more in the areas of crafting for charities, and continue to do cards when I feel inclined for someone who I know will enjoy it. I have also tried to build up a stash of cards to send, when appropriate, to people that I may not be very close to but they will most likely be very pleased and surprised to be remembered (sympathy, get well, thinking of you, etc.)by me-in any case, I will not know, as I am mailing those.
Otherwise, I go to Walgreens and spend time doing stuff I want for myself-like more scrapbooking etc.
I think we all, at some point, come to this realization and make decision that work for us. I know I am about to stop doing scrapbooking for my (adult) daughters and start concentrating on myself.
Just keep doing what makes YOU happy!
Suzanne
 1 user thanked SAR for this useful post.
Bugsy2 Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 6:28:56 PM(UTC)
Bugsy2

Was thanked: 441 time(s) in 311 post(s)
Ken, I would be devastated if you didn't make cards anymore. I love your work and you inspire me more than you'll ever know. But I do know where you are coming from. Follow your heart.
 1 user thanked Bugsy2 for this useful post.
jscraftylady Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 8:40:19 PM(UTC)
jscraftylady

Was thanked: 2026 time(s) in 1103 post(s)
I do most of my crafting for me. I have a handful of crafty friends, my husband and my Mom who genuinely appreciate the effort that goes into handmade cards and albums and I love making things for them. Everyone else gets a store bought card (usually ones I have picked up on clearance at Target after the season the previous year).LOL
 1 user thanked jscraftylady for this useful post.
jojoy Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 8:45:05 PM(UTC)
jojoy

United States

Was thanked: 8761 time(s) in 3065 post(s)
Ken,

I know exactly what you mean. But I really enjoy making my cards. It happened for me a couple of years ago. I made a birthday for for one of my great nephews. He had just started football, so I made a card from PDDU and I had red hair sticking out from under the helmet, since he has red hair. I thought it was so cute. They didn't even open it until later, and just put it aside. I felt like I really wasted so much time and effort to come up with the perfect card. Now, for the kids, I make a really simple card. I decided I would only make special ones for their special occasions, like the one I made for another of my great nephews 1st Communion. I still make cards for others for all occasions. I feel, I really enjoy coming up with just the right card. So if others, don't really appreciate it as much, I just can't dwell on that. Hopefully, you won't totally quit!

JoJoy
 1 user thanked jojoy for this useful post.
LazyBee Offline
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 9:53:36 PM(UTC)
LazyBee

United States

Was thanked: 637 time(s) in 304 post(s)
It would be a shame if you stopped making cards...however there is nothing wrong in being more selective. I have been crafting and making things for myself and others for years. The sad truth is that many do not appreciate the love, time, and effort that we put into these projects. I learned a long time ago to pick and choose who gets one of my creations from what ever craft I am working on. Anyone can go to the store and buy a card or some other bauble or gift item...but not everyone takes the time to produce something from the heart, love is unmeasurable and time is valuable beyond words. So continue to make your beautiful cards but only give them to the people you know who will genuinely appreciate your time and effort, and maybe give some as a labor of love to a charity that would greatly appreciate it.
 1 user thanked LazyBee for this useful post.
cricaholic Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 9:58:45 PM(UTC)
cricaholic

Was thanked: 1172 time(s) in 667 post(s)
Sad I can't believe your alls attitude.....
Cool I don't send cards for FAME (look what I made you)....
Wub I send cards cause I LOVE YOU!!!! if YOU want to toss or trash my love then thats you, but I will continue to ALWAYS LOVE YOU!!!!
Bored In the beginning my family/friends did the same - as soon as they got the card they let me know.....Unsure but now I don't here a peep and if I ask "oh, yea I got it".
Laugh I still send EVERYONE a card and have never scratched anyone off....
Wub My cards are sent with CARE/LOVE and I don't want you to think otherwise!!!!!!!!!

Crying Why am I like this....cause I'm on the non-receiving end.....I send cards for every little special occasion and holiday to everyone and anyone and on my b-day or holiday I'm lucky if I get one card....RollEyes last year on my b-day I got NOTHING from my family!! My own Mother "forgot".
WOWZA! so do they love me or even care.....then a least send me a card so I'll know you thought of me.....

Wub I Love making cards...I would never send a store bought card. My love comes from my creativity and I make them personal and you can't BUY that....

Tongue OK, I've said enough I'll get off my band wagon now.....

ThumpUp Ken, I HOPE I've re-inflatted your ego and you'll continue making cards!!

Edited by user Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:08:28 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked cricaholic for this useful post.
Calmom Offline
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:22:45 PM(UTC)
Calmom

Was thanked: 2092 time(s) in 1068 post(s)
Well, if your having a Pity Party then you better invite me because I deserve it too. Laugh LOL

Seriously, you said it best "unless your a Crafter, you have NO idea the time and money that is put into the project whether it's a Card, Scrapbook Album, Frame, Etc.".

I have several sets of Cards, Cards that I make in 10 mins, 30 mins, 1 hr and longer than an hour. Depending on who I am giving them to, that determines who gets which Card. I know it's probably not nice, but my feelings have been hurt too many times. My cards might not be the best looking cards to others but I am proud of them.

I made a Scrapbook Album for my SIL when she was pregnant, all she would have to do is place the photos in the assigned spaces. It took me 6 months to complete, well over $250 and had 120 pages. I had every Occasions, Holidays, Month By Month, from birth to Kindergarten, every category you could think of. I had made several types of these Albums for close friends who were pregnant but I really put my whole heart into this one. The Outside of the Album was White Lace, she was having a Girl.

My niece just entered 2nd grade and when I was at her Birthday Party I asked my SIL to see the Album, since I had never seen it since I gave it to her. Well she came up with every excuse she could think of, why she couldn't get it for me to see. I asked my BIL if he could get it and he said "what album". After confronting my SIL, she confessed that her sister did a Digital Photo Album every year for my niece so she so no reason to use the album I gave her.

Was I hurt? YES Was I pissed? YES I asked her that if she still had it, if I could have it back to give it to someone who would use it and she again, confessed, she gave it to Goodwill.

I just hope someone found it at Goodwill and use it with appreciation. NEVER AGAIN, I am done making Scrapbook Albums for anyone.

I know how you feel Ken, sometimes people are just sooooo ignorant and rude.

Hugs
LauraL Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 10:22:52 PM(UTC)
LauraL

Was thanked: 532 time(s) in 246 post(s)
I'm with MamaC. I only spend the time on hand-made cards for people I know will appreciate them. I'm not looking for gushing praise of my creativity, but something more than looking for money or a gift card inside, without even glancing at the cover or reading what is written, would be nice!
 2 users thanked LauraL for this useful post.
MamaC on 4/28/2013(UTC), Ken's Kreations on 4/28/2013(UTC)
Ken's Kreations Offline
#13 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 11:07:57 PM(UTC)
Ken's Kreations

United States

Originally Posted by: Calmom Go to Quoted Post
Well, if your having a Pity Party then you better invite me because I deserve it too. Laugh LOL

Seriously, you said it best "unless your a Crafter, you have NO idea the time and money that is put into the project whether it's a Card, Scrapbook Album, Frame, Etc.".

I have several sets of Cards, Cards that I make in 10 mins, 30 mins, 1 hr and longer than an hour. Depending on who I am giving them to, that determines who gets which Card. I know it's probably not nice, but my feelings have been hurt too many times. My cards might not be the best looking cards to others but I am proud of them.

I made a Scrapbook Album for my SIL when she was pregnant, all she would have to do is place the photos in the assigned spaces. It took me 6 months to complete, well over $250 and had 120 pages. I had every Occasions, Holidays, Month By Month, from birth to Kindergarten, every category you could think of. I had made several types of these Albums for close friends who were pregnant but I really put my whole heart into this one. The Outside of the Album was White Lace, she was having a Girl.

My niece just entered 2nd grade and when I was at her Birthday Party I asked my SIL to see the Album, since I had never seen it since I gave it to her. Well she came up with every excuse she could think of, why she couldn't get it for me to see. I asked my BIL if he could get it and he said "what album". After confronting my SIL, she confessed that her sister did a Digital Photo Album every year for my niece so she so no reason to use the album I gave her.

Was I hurt? YES Was I pissed? YES I asked her that if she still had it, if I could have it back to give it to someone who would use it and she again, confessed, she gave it to Goodwill.

I just hope someone found it at Goodwill and use it with appreciation. NEVER AGAIN, I am done making Scrapbook Albums for anyone.

Hugs

That is horrible. My family would never do that......I bet it was beautiful!
 1 user thanked Ken's Kreations for this useful post.
Calmom on 4/29/2013(UTC)
Ken's Kreations Offline
#14 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 11:13:36 PM(UTC)
Ken's Kreations

United States

Originally Posted by: cricaholic Go to Quoted Post
Sad I can't believe your alls attitude.....
Cool I don't send cards for FAME (look what I made you)....
Wub I send cards cause I LOVE YOU!!!! if YOU want to toss or trash my love then thats you, but I will continue to ALWAYS LOVE YOU!!!!
Bored In the beginning my family/friends did the same - as soon as they got the card they let me know.....Unsure but now I don't here a peep and if I ask "oh, yea I got it".
Laugh I still send EVERYONE a card and have never scratched anyone off....
Wub My cards are sent with CARE/LOVE and I don't want you to think otherwise!!!!!!!!!

Crying Why am I like this....cause I'm on the non-receiving end.....I send cards for every little special occasion and holiday to everyone and anyone and on my b-day or holiday I'm lucky if I get one card....RollEyes last year on my b-day I got NOTHING from my family!! My own Mother "forgot".
WOWZA! so do they love me or even care.....then a least send me a card so I'll know you thought of me.....

Wub I Love making cards...I would never send a store bought card. My love comes from my creativity and I make them personal and you can't BUY that....

Tongue OK, I've said enough I'll get off my band wagon now.....

ThumpUp Ken, I HOPE I've re-inflatted your ego and you'll continue making cards!!

I will admit the time I spend making on a card is timeless for me. I love making projects and I am not trying to get famous over it....I do however like a little thank you once in a while. My SIL...did come up to me later in the party and told me this.

She said in the beginning I never made cards so they were 100% in awe of what I could create...well with each month and then years I started "competing" with myself and they could compare them to past cards....she also said it is like a new game. People really like it in the beginning they play it all the time...and then they know what to expect and they grow used to it. She is he one family member who always thanks me and always comments.mshe is also the only family member who follows my blog.

What your response did for me is to help me realize that every time I am making a card I get joy from it...I get joy coming here and sharing it...I get joy giving ideas to people.....I get joy watching someone open it......and that is enough for me. I think in the future I will still make my love ones something special...just maybe not a card.

Friend958 Offline
#15 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 11:39:05 PM(UTC)
Friend958

Was thanked: 162 time(s) in 131 post(s)
I totally get it. Last year at a family birthday party my SIL was raving about one of the cards we gave but the only problem was it was one I bought from Costco in their sets. Some time it seems like the ones I spend 30 minutes on people rave about and those I spend hours on get no response. What's a girl to do.
 1 user thanked Friend958 for this useful post.
Ken's Kreations on 4/29/2013(UTC)
Jooniper Offline
#16 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 11:48:13 PM(UTC)
Jooniper

Was thanked: 809 time(s) in 583 post(s)
That's why I do not make many cards for my family members. I just do not want them to throw them away. Plus, I like my cards I make and do not want to give them away. I make hubby cards and give them to him, but I do not sign them. And then I ask for it back. LOL Now hubby reads the card and then hands it back to me without having to ask for it. Laugh

my second mini album I ever made, it is on my blog, I gave to my oldest sister and already knew when I made it she would not use or let anyone else touch it and that it would sit in her curio cabinet with all her "no touch" stuff she loves. She teared up when I gave it to her. I knew when I decided to make it that I would give it to her, because she would appreciate it.

I do not make many things, as I do not like to give away my work, but on occasion... I do make things to give to people.

I think I have made 2 cards to give, one was for my nieces baby shower and the other was for a nieces birthday. They were pretty simple, as in not embellished a lot and took maybe 30 mins to put together. I figured they would chunk them.

I just like to make my projects and cards for me. I do not like to give them away, but I will some times.

Speaking of giving stuff we make to people... I think it is time for me to make new name banners for my SILs daughters. LOL I'll "research" aka procrastinate on it a lil longer.
 1 user thanked Jooniper for this useful post.
DianeD Offline
#17 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 11:55:54 PM(UTC)
DianeD

Was thanked: 983 time(s) in 686 post(s)
I make two types of cards: those with lots of detail given to people who I know will appreciate them and those that are usually my trial cards that I am trying something new and am not real happy with the results, but they are okay. I just tell myself that this is my hobby and only other crafters will truly appreciate my cards.

I have held off buying cards because I have so much stuff that I want to use my stash rather than spending money on store bought cards.

1 user thanked DianeD for this useful post.
xcountrymom Offline
#18 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 3:41:57 AM(UTC)
xcountrymom

Was thanked: 38 time(s) in 36 post(s)

Hugs

Oh my that is horrible! I am so sorry this happened to you, I am sure whoever found it at Goodwill is treasuring it. :) I quit making gifts/cards for this exact reason they were never appreciated and I could tell my family members would rather have a gift card or cash so now that is what I do. Ironically I get soooooo much positive feedback from the people that buy my cards at the one craft fair I do at my church every year! Go figure strangers can see the work that goes into my cards and yet family cannot.
 2 users thanked xcountrymom for this useful post.
Calmom on 4/29/2013(UTC), Ken's Kreations on 4/29/2013(UTC)
MultiCrafter Amy Offline
#19 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 5:16:12 AM(UTC)
MultiCrafter Amy

United States

Was thanked: 10533 time(s) in 1891 post(s)
I don't think there is a crafter here that hasn't felt the same way. lol I don't always make a card for every person. A lot of the time I buy cards. shhh.. I do make cards here and there if I find the time. If I know someone doesn't care for my cards I would not bother to send them a crafted card and would instead buy one. I gave a bought card to my sisters young boy and she just let him tear it up right in front of us like a toy. I can't say he didn't enjoy the card. lol I told hubby I was glad I didn't find the time to make him one. I had hubby pick that card up and he had picked up a more expensive character card. I guess they don't keep their cards. I have a shoebox for each of my boys and I save the cards they get from others in them for them to enjoy and thumb through when they get older. I figure they may like to look at cards from family that may be gone later on. If they decide to toss them, well that's up to them.

I like how someone on here said it's a personal choice. I craft because I want to but I must admit there are some I will not make cards for. I just buy for them. These days I am concentrating my time on scrapbooking so I do not make cards all the time. I do it it here and there. I have not quit but am taking a break from it. I bet if you do quit, your family will notice because I think your cards are very thoughtful and look great too.

By the way, if you want to make cards for me... I would accept them with joy. BigGrin I barely get any cards and I never get handmade ones. I am lucky if I get one to two cards on my birthday and I have a BIG family.lol It's just the way they are. I have only got handmade ones from people on the MB and I still have them all. BigGrin

Edited by user Monday, April 29, 2013 5:17:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked MultiCrafter Amy for this useful post.
CeceliaJ Offline
#20 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 6:15:00 AM(UTC)
CeceliaJ

United States

Was thanked: 50 time(s) in 39 post(s)
Please don't stop! Do what makes you happy. I loved the card you made me,I have it hanging on my craft room wall. When I am sitting at the table in front of all my machines, I look up at the card and smile. I craft for myself first. Like therapy to me. Although I'm not a great card maker, I still make cards for birthdays and such. I don't know if these people think we just all go buy a stack of cheap construction paper and a glue stick and throw these things together? I do know we are a great group of people with great imaginations and creativity!
Cecelia
 1 user thanked CeceliaJ for this useful post.
Sandy Offline
#21 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 6:32:36 AM(UTC)
Sandy

United States

Was thanked: 5456 time(s) in 2352 post(s)
I keep all the hand made cards people send me and I also keep the cricut calling cards I received at Texas Stampede. I use all these wonderful hand made items in my scrapbooks! I have tried to make cards a couple times but they were terrible! I doubt anyone kept them! Flapper Flapper LOL LOL Hope you continue making them and gifting them to people that appreciate the hard work!
 1 user thanked Sandy for this useful post.
Di&Co Offline
#22 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 6:44:28 AM(UTC)
Di&Co

Canada

Was thanked: 19041 time(s) in 4914 post(s)
Do you know whom I send my cards to? Crafters on these boards. My family doesn't get it and neither do my friends. So I make my albums instead for me and my kids.

Caroline has some great ideas...I think the soldiers could use your talents!

Chin up, not everyone loves hand made. We live in a material society.
 1 user thanked Di&Co for this useful post.
Dragonfly50 Offline
#23 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 6:45:28 AM(UTC)
Dragonfly50

United States

Was thanked: 1219 time(s) in 728 post(s)
Luckily I have a supportive staff at work.
Every year I bring a large bucket of cards organized by theme to work with me.
I refill it as the school year goes along.
Every summer I bring them home and the next September the staff asks if I'm bringing the cards in soon.
I sell them for #2 each and lots of them say I should charge more.
I tell them I do not put them there to make a profit just to get money to buy more supplies to make more cards.
They prefer most of them to be on the clean and simple side to make mailing easier.

I would make the cards even if they stacked up at home until I could star in an episode of hoarders because making them makes me happy.
When I tell my husband it is my therapy I'm only half joking.

When the time come where I do not have an outlet for them I will donate more of them to OWH, churches, retirement homes, hospitals, etc.

When I retire my dream is to volunteer at a hospital holding babies.
I will make cards for the new parents and maybe a mini book or two.
I think donating to new parents and the gift shop would keep me busy.

D-
 1 user thanked Dragonfly50 for this useful post.
motherloves3 Offline
#24 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 7:01:53 AM(UTC)
motherloves3

Canada

Was thanked: 297 time(s) in 180 post(s)
Ken, I understand where you are coming from and it isn't a pity party, I think posting here is good because it is fellow crafters that understand. I make cards because I love making them and I give them to my children because I know they appreciate them but I am selective about who else I send them too.

I also sew and knit things to give as gifts. I have stopped giving them to certain people because they really are not appreciated and I put many many hours of work into them.

Don't stop what you love to do - you can always post pictures on here or send your cards to fellow crafters because you know they will be appreciated!!!

HAPPY CRAFTING BigGrin
 1 user thanked motherloves3 for this useful post.
TammyPuckett Offline
#25 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 7:17:03 AM(UTC)
TammyPuckett

Was thanked: 319 time(s) in 181 post(s)
I understand completely! The only one I get response out of cards from is my Mom & my Granddaughter!
 1 user thanked TammyPuckett for this useful post.
Jessie Adams Offline
#26 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 7:28:32 AM(UTC)
Jessie Adams

Was thanked: 1011 time(s) in 652 post(s)
I make cards because I love it.
I'm happy to say that my family enjoys getting them.
My grandkids are my biggest fans and always ask for the "wobbly" ones.

My advice to you, Ken, is to continue doing what you enjoy.
Praise is a fleeting thing but the pleasure you get from creating is never-ending.
 1 user thanked Jessie Adams for this useful post.
Calmom Offline
#27 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 7:41:08 AM(UTC)
Calmom

Was thanked: 2092 time(s) in 1068 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MultiCrafter Amy Go to Quoted Post
I don't think there is a crafter here that hasn't felt the same way. lol I don't always make a card for every person. A lot of the time I buy cards. shhh.. I do make cards here and there if I find the time. If I know someone doesn't care for my cards I would not bother to send them a crafted card and would instead buy one. I gave a bought card to my sisters young boy and she just let him tear it up right in front of us like a toy. I can't say he didn't enjoy the card. lol I told hubby I was glad I didn't find the time to make him one. I had hubby pick that card up and he had picked up a more expensive character card. I guess they don't keep their cards. I have a shoebox for each of my boys and I save the cards they get from others in them for them to enjoy and thumb through when they get older. I figure they may like to look at cards from family that may be gone later on. If they decide to toss them, well that's up to them.

I like how someone on here said it's a personal choice. I craft because I want to but I must admit there are some I will not make cards for. I just buy for them. These days I am concentrating my time on scrapbooking so I do not make cards all the time. I do it it here and there. I have not quit but am taking a break from it. I bet if you do quit, your family will notice because I think your cards are very thoughtful and look great too.

By the way, if you want to make cards for me... I would accept them with joy. BigGrin I barely get any cards and I never get handmade ones. I am lucky if I get one to two cards on my birthday and I have a BIG family.lol It's just the way they are. I have only got handmade ones from people on the MB and I still have them all. BigGrin

Um, I'm telling Laugh LOL Laugh

Your right we have all been there, done that, unfortunately

1 user thanked Calmom for this useful post.
monianne Offline
#28 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 7:49:58 AM(UTC)
monianne

Was thanked: 77 time(s) in 48 post(s)
I make my nice cards for people who are sentimental, and for those of whom I know will just toss them, I make those so I can use up extra cuts, stickers etc. I don't by the 99 cent card because I want that 99 cents to go towards buying fun new crafty stuff. FlapperFlapper Flapper ...nope no ulterior motive here.LOL LOL LOL.
 1 user thanked monianne for this useful post.
KnitWitRosie Offline
#29 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 8:01:59 AM(UTC)
KnitWitRosie

United States

Was thanked: 269 time(s) in 161 post(s)

Hugs

Calmom - I had something similar happem, not with papercrafting though.... with a crocheted baby blanket. I taught myself to crochet and made (IMO) a gorgeous baby blanket for my soon-to-be niece. After a nasty divorce between my BIL & SIL six months after my niece was born, I asked my BIL if he at least got the blanket when they divided up the household stuff. He then told me that my then SIL used it underneath the cat's litter box to catch all the litter off their feet and ultimately had to be thrown away. I was devastated!!

I too am done with making handmade things for people who are not going to appreciate the hard work, time, and money that went into making them. I'd rather spend my time, effort, and money on myself than people who don't care.

I don't do things for "fame" or whatever you want to call it, I do it for love. But when you disrespect what I did out of love, it makes me feel like you don't love me back. Does that make sense?

Ken... Don't give up what you love to do... just change the criteria for being on "Ken's special people list of who gets handmade goodies."
 1 user thanked KnitWitRosie for this useful post.
Di&Co Offline
#30 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 8:09:31 AM(UTC)
Di&Co

Canada

Was thanked: 19041 time(s) in 4914 post(s)
Originally Posted by: KnitWitRosie Go to Quoted Post
Calmom - I had something similar happem, not with papercrafting though.... with a crocheted baby blanket. I taught myself to crochet and made (IMO) a gorgeous baby blanket for my soon-to-be niece. After a nasty divorce between my BIL & SIL six months after my niece was born, I asked my BIL if he at least got the blanket when they divided up the household stuff. He then told me that my then SIL used it underneath the cat's litter box to catch all the litter off their feet and ultimately had to be thrown away. I was devastated!!

I too am done with making handmade things for people who are not going to appreciate the hard work, time, and money that went into making them. I'd rather spend my time, effort, and money on myself than people who don't care.

I don't do things for "fame" or whatever you want to call it, I do it for love. But when you disrespect what I did out of love, it makes me feel like you don't love me back. Does that make sense?

Ken... Don't give up what you love to do... just change the criteria for being on "Ken's special people list of who gets handmade goodies."

I have relatives like yours. Now my knitted and crocheted items go to a hospital shop where people buy them to give to others. Im much more happy doing that. I did make a baby blanket for my niece though and she was so excited. I did tell her how much time it took me to make it and she was really pleased with her gift. Of course, she is one of our fav nieces and a precious all the way around so I think that helps.
 1 user thanked Di&Co for this useful post.