Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

pipes436f8f4d2c Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 8:08:52 PM(UTC)
pipes436f8f4d2c

Groups: Registered

I have the cricut tools scraper to clean the mats. But how do you renew the sticky? When I use a breyer that is too much and the paper won't come off. We need a cutting mat renew spray!
AuntieKLE Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 21, 2013 8:24:51 PM(UTC)
AuntieKLE

Was thanked: 145 time(s) in 110 post(s)
You can run the mat under running water and gently rub off the paper scraps and let dry. The mat will be sticky again once it dries.

Or you can quickly clean it with a baby wipe.

If your machine is out of warranty then you can re-sticky the mat with either a spray or a zig 2 way glue stick (big fat tip).

HTH

CricketCMV Offline
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:28:44 AM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 7600 time(s) in 4449 post(s)
I don't worry about my mats being sticky. I don't buy many mats.

I have ten mats I have bought since 2008. I have used four of them. I still have my original....and, I have cut off a curled edge of it, (about 1/4") since I used it for about a year-and-a-half before I broke out the second one, due to a curled edge where I was butting it up to the guide too closely. It still works for me and I generally use my glittered papers on that oldest mat. Why did I buy the other six mats? They were on sale (at various times) and I do realize I will need to open them, eventually.....maybe in 2018? LOL.

I USE BLUE TAPE on almost every paper I ever lay down on a mat. I don't burnish, unless I have problems with paper slipping with the blue tape (which has happened a few times...only a few...and then I would burnish to adhere the paper a little more and tape again. I have bought four rolls of blue tape in 2008 and have only used two of those rolls. I bought them on sale. I do reuse the blue tape for weeks before I discard it. I also use the blue tape rolled around itself (the used, usually, that I've used over and over) to pick up glitter that has fallen off the paper onto the table before I use a wet paper towel to pick up leftover glitter.

I LOVE MY BLUE TAPE. I do have one stickier mat that I don't have to use the blue tape on, as yet.

I have never taken chances for my paper to slip while cutting; thus, the blue tape. I got used to using it early on and I just don't CUT without using it.

ANOTHER THING I DO EVERYTIME I USE A MAT.....is to use my bone folder to scrape off the residue from the paper (you can't always see it).

I ALWAYS place the film that comes with the mat face down on my mats (the way it was on the mat to begin with) EVERY TIME I finish using my mats. I don't let my mats lay out in the open air.

ANOTHER THING I DO is lay the mats on top of each other (with the used ones beneath the newer ones I've never opened) on a flat surface.

I don't know if these things will help anyone else.....BUT, I REFUSE TO BUY a lot of mats just because they don't work too good (can't afford it)! ALL OF MY MATS WORK GOOD....even the first one I bought in 2008. I have used it a LOT!

Char

Edited by user Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:30:28 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

TammyPuckett Offline
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:49:19 AM(UTC)
TammyPuckett

Was thanked: 319 time(s) in 181 post(s)
The mats that have CRICUT in the center are the ones that you want to buy if you can't find the new ones. I have been wanting to try the new ones, but can't seem to find them anywhere. I use baby wipes to keep my mats clean & renew the sticky.
Godot's Girl Offline
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:58:15 AM(UTC)
Godot's Girl

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States
Location: Too far from the farm! MQ pg.13, #388; Circle MQ pg. 4, #98

Was thanked: 2431 time(s) in 1522 post(s)
I, too, use the baby wipes to keep my mats clean, and therefore, sticky. When I buy a mat, I write "front" on the plastic sheet that covers the sticky mat, so I always put it back on the same way, as I have read several places that there is a front and a back to that plastic sheet. When I take that sheet off, I fold it together so that I do not get any dust from the air on the side that goes on the mat. I also have my original mat that came with my E2, but it is not as old as the one poster, it was purchased in 2011. I keep my mats flat, scrape them with a baby wipe and scraper (from Pampered Chef) to get off any debris, and always replace the plastic cover immediately after drying. I have not had to use the hot water and scraping method, though I know of many who have, and it certainly has worked for them. I was unfortunate enough to get a bad mat at one point. I tried re sticking it with a Zig 2 Way Glue pen. That worked fine, but it did build up a residue, no matter how hard I scraped it or tried to keep it clean, so I do not recommend re sticking the mats....plus, if your machine is under warranty, this would void that warranty, so just not a good idea. Again, I know many people who have restuck their mats, since their machines were not under warranty, and it works for them. They either use the Zig pen or a spray adhesive. However, this does seem to build up a residue, so it is just not worth it to me. Sorry to ramble on, HTH. GG

Edited by user Tuesday, April 23, 2013 10:58:58 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Buckaroo500 Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 12:22:38 PM(UTC)
Buckaroo500

CricketCMV what is this blue tape you are talking about...
Quote:
I USE BLUE TAPE on almost every paper I ever lay down on a mat. I don't burnish, unless I have problems with paper slipping with the blue tape

Is it the blue masking tape you buy at hardware stores? Excuse my ignorance...Blushing but what is does it mean to burnish?
Thanks!
CricketCMV Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 27, 2013 8:56:36 PM(UTC)
CricketCMV

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 7600 time(s) in 4449 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rrngmwge3c12b0d Go to Quoted Post
CricketCMV what is this blue tape you are talking about...
Is it the blue masking tape you buy at hardware stores? Excuse my ignorance...Blushing but what is does it mean to burnish?
Thanks!

I use my bone folder (the little green flat tool about the size of the palm of your hand) to burnish. You lay your paper down on the mat and holding the bone folder almost flat and placing pressure on the edge of it as you go over the paper helps the paper to adhere to the mat a little more than if you just lay it down and rub your hands over the paper.

I think I bought my blue tape at Menards (I like the 1/2" tape and usually cut that into about 1/4" for the side piece on the mat (so the tape doesn't go onto the paper too far and doesn't hang out past the mat itself on the edge). YES, it is like masking tape.

I believe you could use the masking tape, also, but I think it's hard to find the more narrow tape.

HTH.

Char