Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

jenna.rosenbergerd258a7d5 Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2012 9:59:46 PM(UTC)
jenna.rosenbergerd258a7d5

Groups: Registered

Hi everyone,

Can someone help me understand layering? Is there a comprehensive tutorial somewhere I can't find? I got an Expression2 for Christmas and am trying desperately to figure out how to figure this all out. There's the base layers, the shift layers, the shadow layer and I can't find a clear, simple instruction guide that is anything resembling helpful. I'm so excited to finally have a cricut, but am getting frustrated. Any help would be much appreciated!

Jenna
kimJ Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2012 9:57:41 PM(UTC)
kimJ

Was thanked: 98 time(s) in 67 post(s)
Here are a couple of you tube videos that may help you to better understand "layers" while using your E2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArV52uTnWPA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcvQDkpzUGE

There are lots and lots of other videos out there that may also help.

Edited by user Sunday, December 30, 2012 10:00:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

scrapalette Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2012 10:13:43 PM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 18387 time(s) in 8170 post(s)
Here is some info that may help:

When you decide on the size for your base image, cut all the layers at that size. Make sure your Real Dial Size or True Size (depending on which machine you have) is off. You want to cut images that have layers using the Relative Size.

Make sure you use the base image which will have the detail lines showing where the other layers go. Do not use the blackout {which cuts the same size as the base image} or shadow of the base image {which will cut slightly larger than the base image} as those will not have the detail lines.

The layers are pictured in the handbook in the order they are to be layered. Sometimes, layering one image will create a feature (like eyes, lips, etc) on your image.

The layers are also pictured in the handbook the way "they go" on the image. Meaning, the orientation is the same, you place it in the same direction it is printed.

Sometimes, it helps to cut the image at a large size (using some cheap or scrap paper) to better visualize how the image goes together.
madgedfaad5fa2 Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 30, 2012 11:07:39 PM(UTC)
madgedfaad5fa2

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Yeah when I first started, the videos didnt help me ANY! Somebody told me to look at the handbook and for some reason that just clicked for me as to what the videos were actually talking about. Very confusing and not very user friendly if you are not a crafter/scrapbooker!
Gizellejacobsfe45d2ce Offline
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 03, 2013 9:48:45 PM(UTC)
Gizellejacobsfe45d2ce

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've been a scrapbooker for years and this is confusing to me. That's why I wanted to focus on the YouTube videos and this forum. I've had my cricut for 3 yrs now and I'm just ready to really figure it out. Don't feel bad. I'm learning along with you.
dorichatelain44314a80 Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 8:41:40 PM(UTC)
dorichatelain44314a80

Was thanked: 118 time(s) in 115 post(s)
I have had my cricut 2 months and I keep learning about it and what it does. Today I learned that I can use the CCR with the preloaded shapes on the cricut. I am happy about this.... Makes it so much easier to use than tryin to do it on the little screen on the cricut.

happy creating
Dori