Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

kremerst730379c6 Offline
#1 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2012 8:47:55 AM(UTC)
kremerst730379c6

Groups: Registered

Hi there!

My sister and I are considering joining funds and purchasing a Mini together. Neither of us are scrapbookers, but we dabble in other crafty things, and we each can think of several uses for this. I work with fabric and would make stencils out of contact paper for glass etching, and maybe greeting cards or party favors. She has a wedding coming up and could make some things for that. We don't want to spend the money for the regular machine, but this is in our budget. Do you think this would meet our needs?

Additionally, I read that the machine must be connected to a computer. Since it will probably travel between her house and mine (she has a PC and I have a Mac), I want to make sure we can use one machine on two computers with different operating systems. Is this possible to do?

How would the Craft Room thing work if we have two users? Could we both use the same account so that we could each access our cartridges? If we could only keep it at one of our houses, it might not be worthwhile to get.

Thanks so much for your help!
Doodlebugs Offline
#2 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2012 8:54:13 AM(UTC)
Doodlebugs

Was thanked: 71 time(s) in 59 post(s)
I bought one for $38 plus shipping and its okay I have really have had little time to play but you do need to have a computer and be using CCR if both of you use CCR then you can use the machine at both places to my knowledge maybe one day I will play with it
scrapalette Online
#3 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2012 8:56:21 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
United States

Was thanked: 18426 time(s) in 8189 post(s)
I love my Cricuts and I don't really scrapbook or make cards! I mostly do other paper crafting with a few cards and mini albums tossed in.

The Mini uses Cricut Craft Room {CCR} or a Gypsy to "read" the info on the carts and CCR is compatible with both PCs and MACs.

You could share a CCR account as you can log in on any computer, but you can only have cutting privileges on two computers (so it's feasible the two computers could be yours and hers).

But, you each can have your own account and either not link the carts and insert them each time or one link the carts (or some split of the carts like you link what you buy and she links what she buys) and then the person without the linked cart uses the actual cart to insert when cutting.

The Mini is a great machine!
kremerst730379c6 Offline
#4 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2012 9:03:13 AM(UTC)
kremerst730379c6

Thanks so much for your detailed advice! Ok, a couple more questions...remember I've never used any of this before.

In the Craft Room (CCR?) software, can you organize your projects into folders. For example, could my sister have one folder and I have another? And I'm glad to hear you can cut from two computers, that will really help. Since we'll likely be sharing cartridges, we'll probably both upload ours to the CCR, so we could both access. Once it is uploaded, do you have to have the physical cartridge plugged into your machine for it to work? (ie. should the physical cartridges just travel back and forth with the machine itself?)

Thanks again!

Oh, and where did you find it for $38??? Please share!
TammyPuckett Offline
#5 Posted : Friday, April 13, 2012 9:20:23 AM(UTC)
TammyPuckett

Was thanked: 319 time(s) in 181 post(s)
I have a Mini & like it, but I would recommend an Expression over the Mini. You can use the Expression with The Craft Room, Design Studio & the Gypsy. I recently sold my Expression to purchase an Imagine & then got my Mini for crops, but wish that I had kept my Expression!
amysaldanha Offline
#6 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 5:40:22 AM(UTC)
amysaldanha

I did just get myself a mini cricut too! Problem is my laptop is not fast enough to run
the cricut craft room. So until my husband returns without faster laptop am I stuck looking
at my new toy or can I actually use my gypsy with it? and will I also have to put the cartridges
in the machine to use or can I cut without them by using my gypsy?
Thanks so much!!
scrapalette Online
#7 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 6:39:28 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

You can use your Gypsy with the Mini. If you haven't linked your carts to your Gypsy, I would link them to CCR. Then, when you Sync/Update your Gypsy, your carts will be active {linked} on your Gypsy. However, it doesn't work the other way {if you link them to your Gypsy first, you cannot link to CCR yet}.

A cart has to be linked to your Gypsy {either through CCR or directly to the Gypsy} for you to be able to cut designs from that cart with a Gypsy. And, you do not need to have the cart to plug in once the cart is linked.
scrapalette Online
#8 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 6:43:32 AM(UTC)
scrapalette

United States

Originally Posted by: kremerst730379c6 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks so much for your detailed advice! Ok, a couple more questions...remember I've never used any of this before.

In the Craft Room (CCR?) software, can you organize your projects into folders. For example, could my sister have one folder and I have another? And I'm glad to hear you can cut from two computers, that will really help. Since we'll likely be sharing cartridges, we'll probably both upload ours to the CCR, so we could both access. Once it is uploaded, do you have to have the physical cartridge plugged into your machine for it to work? (ie. should the physical cartridges just travel back and forth with the machine itself?)

Thanks again!

Oh, and where did you find it for $38??? Please share!

There aren't folders in CCR {yet, I hope that will be added!} but you can add descriptors to the file name. Like "Card-birthday" or "Basket-bunny" or "LO-Disney", then you can easily scroll through to find your card or LO or whatever. You two could go a step further and add your name or initial to the front of the title so you would know which file was yours.

Once the cart is linked to CCR, you do not need to have the cart to cut.
amysaldanha Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, April 16, 2012 3:18:21 PM(UTC)
amysaldanha

Thanks for the help, can't wait to open mine up!!
monie Offline
#10 Posted : Sunday, April 29, 2012 11:17:16 AM(UTC)
monie

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 2 post(s)
LOL Quick question, I am planning to buy the mini today, not sure why, except it is the only one I dont own. But now that it works with the gypsy, I am more interested. However, I have had the gypsy since the beginning, so most of my carts are linked to it. So can I link those same carts to CCR? Or will I always have to use my gypsy, when cutting from the CCR?
daydreamer226d9187a9c Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, June 01, 2012 3:24:19 AM(UTC)
daydreamer226d9187a9c

Oh no! Nobody mentioned where to get the mini for $38 ! I already have one but I haven't used it yet. But now I'm scared to try and use it because unfortunately all ive heard is really bad stuff about the mini. I was soooo excited to start using my Cricut mini. The only people who say good things are the people who work for Cricut. So should I return it? I'm on a limited income and I had to save for a long time to buy the mini and some cardstock a few glittery paper packet ect. Please help!!!!!!! Thank you.