Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

LindaK Offline
#1 Posted : Sunday, September 04, 2011 11:52:21 AM(UTC)
LindaK

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1593 time(s) in 364 post(s)
My husband (who works in the IT industry) spent Saturday trying to get Cricut Craftroom running on my laptop had some failures and a surprising success. Cricut CraftRoom works on one laptop, but not the other. This test was performed using V1 Build 60. Here is what we discovered. I also submitted feedback via the CCR page. I thought this might be of interest to you all:) Below are his notes! I am so glad he submitted this feedback and hope it helps the programmers:) He spents hours working on this for me:)

My experience with Cricut CraftRoom was challenging. The first laptop is described below. It has an AMD processor and chipset. On first try with my E2, I got the dreaded CCRbridge.exe error. I Googled the error code and it seems to indicate that CCRbridge.exe is trying use memory that is already allocated, therefore Windows crashes it to avoid further problems. As a result of this, CraftRoom is closed as well.

I wondered if CCRBridge was fighting with other devices trying to use the USB chipset so I went into Task Manager and killed all the processes that looked unnecessary, especially ones that included the word "media" in their names because they would be devices that were scanning the USB bus for media such as flash drives, memory cards, printers, Cricut machines, etc.

I set the program to "run as Administrator and after killing all the processes and Norton AV, I was able to get the E2 to successfully cut a circle, but had to use the "don't plug in the USB cable until just before you cut" trick to get it to work. I also had to set Expression as the default as it would crash when Expression 2 was the default. Results were mixed as I was only successful about 60 percent of the time. All tweaks were lost after a reboot. Results were still quite poor, so I didn't bother changing msconfig to make the changes permanent.

When I tried it with the Imagine, it successfully printed a graphic, but got the CCRbridge error as soon as the cutter kicked in. No tweaks or cable plugging tricks helped.

At this point, I decided that the problem was probably a driver issue with that particular laptop using an AMD chipset.

Since I had one more install available under the beta program, I decided to try it on another laptop. This laptop has an Intel processor and chipset.
Everything worked perfectly and I did not need to kill any processes or disable the antivirus.

Conclusion- I'm not a programmer or engineer, but I suspect the problem is with the narrow range of chipsets that the Cricut software will operate with. The first laptop has the AMD chipset and, in my experience, is buggy with other software other than Cricuts. The second system has industry standard hardware, but cost three times as much as the first laptop. Once Cricut develops drivers that are more tolerant of different chipsets besides Intel chipsets, it is my opinion that the program should become stable.

To other beta testers, don't run out and buy a new computer yet, hang tough as this software is still in beta testing and hopefully new drivers should fix the problem.

System 1-Laptop HP Pavillion DV6000
Vista Home Premium 32 Bit
NVidia GeForce 7150M /nForce 630M
4 GB RAM
Processor- AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
Chipset- NVidia nForce
Norton 360 AV

Hardware
System 2- Laptop HP HDX 18
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit (SP1 and all patches since.) NVidia GeForce GT 130M 1GB graphics memory
4 GB RAM
Processor- Intel Core 2 Duo T9600
Chipset- ICH9 USB/PCI Intel Chip
Trend Micro AV
 2 users thanked LindaK for this useful post.
love2bug on 9/4/2011(UTC), *Karel* on 9/4/2011(UTC)
COWStamper Offline
#2 Posted : Sunday, September 04, 2011 12:39:26 PM(UTC)
COWStamper

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Registered, Circle Member

Was thanked: 512 time(s) in 354 post(s)
Wow! I didn't understand it all, but it sounds logical. Maybe some of the info will be used to help move CCR forward.

Tell your DH THANKS!!!BigGrin
 1 user thanked COWStamper for this useful post.
LindaK on 9/4/2011(UTC)
cricutkris Offline
#3 Posted : Sunday, September 04, 2011 5:10:37 PM(UTC)
cricutkris

Was thanked: 448 time(s) in 225 post(s)
My machine is experiencing this bridge error as well and it is running duel Intel processor T7200. I have 2GB RAM and am running vista 32 bit sp2.

I am not having problems with my husbands laptop but it is still on build 53. I'm afraid to update that one. I'd get you specs but he is on it right now doing very important fantasy football stuff...LOL!

But I think his is not running Intel processors. I believe it is AMD.

I can now get into the craft room but as soon as I hook up the Imagine I get the bridge error.

I guess I'll design until it works!

Thank your husband for all his hard work! Been in the field myself and I know it's like finding a needle in the haystack.

Kris

1 user thanked cricutkris for this useful post.
LindaK on 9/6/2011(UTC)
Narelle Offline
#4 Posted : Sunday, September 04, 2011 6:36:05 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered
Australia

Was thanked: 7607 time(s) in 3549 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cricutkris Go to Quoted Post
My machine is experiencing this bridge error as well and it is running duel Intel processor T7200. I have 2GB RAM and am running vista 32 bit sp2.

I am not having problems with my husbands laptop but it is still on build 53. I'm afraid to update that one. I'd get you specs but he is on it right now doing very important fantasy football stuff...LOL!

But I think his is not running Intel processors. I believe it is AMD.

I can now get into the craft room but as soon as I hook up the Imagine I get the bridge error.

I guess I'll design until it works!

Thank your husband for all his hard work! Been in the field myself and I know it's like finding a needle in the haystack.

Kris

I'd definitely be keeping hubbies computer on Build 53. I rolled mine back to Build 50 so I could print and cut the layered images on my Imagine. I would have gone to Build 53 but I obviously over-wrote that file. Cursing
 1 user thanked Narelle for this useful post.
LindaK on 9/6/2011(UTC)
Coah'sNana Offline
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 04, 2011 7:02:51 PM(UTC)
Coah'sNana

Virgin Islands (U.S.)

Was thanked: 13242 time(s) in 3718 post(s)
Thank your husband profusely for us. I'm not so sure the chipset is the only problem though.

I've got

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Service Pack 1 and all critical updates
Processor- Intel Core 2 Duo T6400
Chipset- ICH9 USB/PCI Intel Chip
Ram 4GB
Norton AV

And I get a bridge error everytime I try to cut with my Imagine.
 1 user thanked Coah'sNana for this useful post.
LindaK on 9/6/2011(UTC)
cricutkris Offline
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 04, 2011 9:18:10 PM(UTC)
cricutkris

Was thanked: 448 time(s) in 225 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Narelle Go to Quoted Post
I'd definitely be keeping hubbies computer on Build 53. I rolled mine back to Build 50 so I could print and cut the layered images on my Imagine. I would have gone to Build 53 but I obviously over-wrote that file. Cursing

How did you roll it back? I thought once it was updated that was it. Please share!!!
 1 user thanked cricutkris for this useful post.
LindaK on 9/6/2011(UTC)
Weezie13 Offline
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 04, 2011 9:27:28 PM(UTC)
Weezie13

Was thanked: 320 time(s) in 306 post(s)
If I had to do alllllllllllll that.....
I'd be bald, drooling, wearing white and in a rubber room babbling to myself!!!

UNBELIEVEABLE!!!
Does your hubby rent himself out? LOL!LOL

Edited by user Sunday, September 04, 2011 9:28:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

1 user thanked Weezie13 for this useful post.
LindaK on 9/6/2011(UTC)
Narelle Offline
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 04, 2011 9:34:56 PM(UTC)
Narelle

Australia

Was thanked: 7607 time(s) in 3549 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cricutkris Go to Quoted Post
How did you roll it back? I thought once it was updated that was it. Please share!!!

Before I update to the new build I rename the previous installation file (that I have saved to my downloads directory) by adding something to the end of the file name. Eg I rename Cricut-Craftroom to Cricut-CraftroomBuild50. Then when the new version downloads as Cricut-Craftroom it doesn't overwrite the old one.

But I forgot to do that before I updated to Build 59 so I no longer have Build 53.
 3 users thanked Narelle for this useful post.
*Karel* on 9/4/2011(UTC), Jaybee on 9/5/2011(UTC), LindaK on 9/6/2011(UTC)
*NanaDonna* Offline
#9 Posted : Monday, September 05, 2011 9:00:30 PM(UTC)
*NanaDonna*

United States

Was thanked: 2545 time(s) in 1320 post(s)
Wow what amazing and great input. I am sure this will help PC in fixing some of the issues
that are going on. I don't understand much of it but I know that it is the info PC is looking
for to correct the issues.

Thanks to your DH for taking the time to try and help all of us
 1 user thanked *NanaDonna* for this useful post.
LindaK on 9/6/2011(UTC)