Flag
  • Sign In
  • 0 items
  • Search
Welcome Guest! Please login to enable all features.

Notification

Icon
Error

37 Pages123>»
KauaiMelody Offline
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 6:04:47 PM(UTC)
KauaiMelody

Medals: Cricut Circle Member: Member of the Cricut Circle

Groups: Circle Member, Registered

Was thanked: 1978 time(s) in 890 post(s)
1. DEADLINE to mail is MAY 31.(DELIVERY CONFIRMATION IS REQUIRED, PLEASE POST ON BOARD).

2. THIS IS A DIRECT PARTNER SWAP (you will mail to your partner and your partner will mail to you)

3. PLEASE PM YOUR PARTNER AND SHARE DESIGN PREFERENCES . The theme is open and is your partner's choice.

4. CHECK IN EVERY FRIDAY,JCI is fine (Just Checking In), but we would love it if you shared too.

5. I WILL CLOSE SIGN UPS WHEN WE REACH 14 MEMBERS OR ON APRIL 15, WHICHEVER COMES FIRST

6. If you would like to join this fun, drama free, and exciting Swap and Inspiration Adventure let me know on the board and then pm me with your FULL NAME AND ADDRESS.

7. NEWBIES WELCOME BUT YOU MAY BE ASKED BY YOUR PARTNER TO SEND FIRST.

* * * Flaker Policy* * *

I'm sorry but if you are on the Flaker list,I cannot include you in this swap.

Altered Charger Plate Swappers and Inspiration Adventurers (Maildate: May 31) Of course you can mail sooner.Smile
ALL SWAPPERS WILL RECEIVE ALL OF THE PRIZES FROM THE CONTESTS AND CHALLENGES!!!
SO MUCH WONDERFULNESS HERE NEEDS TO BE REWARDED Love
*********************************************************************************
ATTENTION SWAPPERS!!!
Wub Wub DO YOU KNOW WHAT 2 WUBS NEXT TO YOUR NAME MEANS? (Yes, you are very loved but what else?)ANSWER HERE BELOW:
When there are two wubs by your name, charger plate has been sent and received YAY! WOOT!! WOOT!!!
****************************************************************************************************

Sharon Chatterton and RockinRobin,1
RobinWub sent to Sharon
SharonWub sent to Robin

AliciaPettus and GrandmaP
GrammaPWub Wub sent to Alicia (received)
AliciaWub sent to GrammaP

JeanP and kauaimelody
JeanPWub Wub sent to kauaimelody( received)
kauaimelody

cricutcrazy and gonescrappin
gonescrappinWub Wub sent to cricutcrazy(received)
cricutcrazy

heaven4333 and Crafty Old Bat
heaven4333WubWub sent to Crafty Old Bat (received)
Crafty Old BatWub sent to heaven4333

Kimber and Joysee
KimberWub sent to Joysee
JoyseeWubWub sent to Kimber (received)

Scraprageous and Denise Emmerich.
Scraprageous
Denise

Edited by user Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:00:18 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

KauaiMelody Offline
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 6:06:38 PM(UTC)
KauaiMelody

HOSTESS ANNOUNCEMENTS

Ok, I would like everyone to have a shot at the grand Prize Cartridge at the end of this Swap, so it will not be based on points but a grand drawing with Everybody's name thrown in.

The Island Question will be played for a small embellishment, that I will make for you. The embellishment will fit in an A-2 envelope and will be mailed to you. As long as you participate, you will get an embellishment. Even if you do not follow all the parameters of the questions posed to you, as long as you participated, you will win the little prize. If you do NOT participate, you will still get a prize too - A BOOBIE PRIZE!!!

The very mini prize for the Island Question, will be a HAND CROCHETED FLOWER , that I will make for you. If you have a color preference, let me know.

QUESTIONS

1. What are your favorite colors or what colors would you like on this dangle charm?
2. Do you prefer vintage, eclectic, steampunk, modern, bright, subdued or something not listed?
3. What are your other hobbies and/or activities?
4. What is your favorite season and holiday?
5. Do you have a favorite vacation spot? If so where?
6. Do you have pets? If yes, tell about them, please.
7. Any children and/or grandchildren? If yes, tell a little about them, please.
8. Important happenings in the recent past or new future?
9. Do you collect anything?
10. Anything else you want your partner to know?

Edited by user Saturday, April 07, 2012 1:33:20 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

KauaiMelody Offline
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 6:08:38 PM(UTC)
KauaiMelody

Reserved for Swappers Inspiration Posts (Pics, tips, you tube links, pinterest stuff etc. If you would like us to look at your blog for examples, it would be great if you could post at least one pic on the MB for everyone to see )

INSPIRATION GALLERY

*********************************************************************************************
May 16 -31 send and receive our wondrous charger plates, take the dragonfly challenge and throw our names into the hat, for our Grand Prize Drawing!!!

May 1 - May 15 Pinterest Inspiration and Shares

April 15 Modge Podge Tip (from Homemade Swap )
No matter what I tried - bubbles. I would get so frustrated. Then in chatting on the board, I received great advice to use yes pasted to adhere the paper to the item. Brayer well to get out all air bubbles and create a strong bond. Wait at least 30 minutes for it at least semi-dry/set. Then adhere light coats of modgepodge (waiting 20 minutes between each coat) until you get your desired finish. - No more bubbles

April 15-30 Focus on others blogs for Inspiration, and getting to know our partners better. Coming in May, a closer look at pinterest to expand our sense of design and discover what we like.

April 14, Found great tip for modge podging without bubbles. Will post soon.

April 13 Old Chinese Proverb - Sometime people who spend many hours on Pinterest live in very messy houses.

April 12 Giving everyone a little hint about our March Challenge #3- PINTEREST!!!! Inspiration galore there. Colors, styles, and to keep our strenth up while crafting- Yummy treat recipes (and healthy ones too ThumpUp )

April 11 Humor is good for the soul and our crafting mojos. Keep those funny pics and posts comin, our charger plates will be all the better for itLOL BigGrin Laugh ThumpUp

April 10 Looking forward to posting and looking at everybody's blog finds.

April 9 Hope nobody ate too many jellybeans or too much of Mr. Chocolate Easter Bunny or matzoh

April 8 Time for joy and reflection ( any time for crafting?)

April 7 CHALLENGE #2 OPENS ( CHALLENGE #1 is closed)

Share one or more of your favorite Blog entries with us. It can be from your own Blog or a Craft Sister's Blog. If you do not have a Blog you can start one here on this thread(optional...reserve your box, name your blog and keep your Blog entries right here on this thread if you like).

The prize for Challenge #2, is a metal flower dyed with TH alcohol inks. All April prizes will be mailed at the close of this challenge. Challenge #3 will begin on March 1. Prizes and bouses TBA. (To be Announced) And of course, there will be Boobie Prizes!!!

April 6
Happy Passover and Easter everyone!!!

April 5

Another great day to be creative!!!Cool

REMINDER: Win a Bonus Cookie and Cupcake Stencil!!!Love LOL Flapper Tongue Woot Wink Wub

Let me know if you are going to include a cricut cut on the charger plate you are making before I mail out flowers and boobie prizes. ThumpUp

April 4

Greetings Charger Plate Designers and All Around Good Bunch of Ladies

So , we turn our attention to sister blogs for inspiration for awhile. Looking at pics, and reading little tutorials and blog posts is a great way to get the creative juices flowing . How fun that it will be from crafters that are here and available to us for questions, comments and creative support.

April 3, Happy Tuesday Everybody, hope life isn't interfering too much with joyful crafting sessions.

For our Inspiration, it would be wonderful to share with the group interesting, helpful, beautiful, wacko, finds from your crafting sisters here on the board. We will learn about what gets your attention, and see what gets our bloggers attention. You don't need to have a blog to do this. For those of you who don't have a blog,you can use this forum as your blog for now, and list stuff here, pics would be great too. You could name your "Blog"that you create on these boards, so we know that you are posting stuff for us to look at and share.If you do this, just reserve a posting area for your blog, name it and then keep it all in one place by editing it, and we will easily be able to find it. This will segway us nicely into Challenge #2 which begins on April 7, the day after the close of Challenge #1. Challenge#2 ends on April 27, midnight, Pacific Standard Time. I will mail out both FLOWER PRIZES, the crocheted one and the TH inked metal ones, in one envelope on April 28. And YES, there will be BOOBIE PRIZES too , if you prefer to be a spectator and view all of the shanningans from the grandstands.

CHALLENGE #2 starts on April 7. If you would like to participate , for the metal flower, please scavengerhunt our crafting sisters blogs for wonderful things to share here. You may share as many times as you like. If you do not have a blog,you can create one on this forum by starting a Blog Post, with a title, and then just keep Blogging there. Just go to edit, to add a new entry, and we will be able to find it easily. If you prefer not to blog and just search other blogs, that is OK too. If you prefer not start a blog here, or look at others blogs, that is OK too, but beware of a boobie prize coming to you !!!LOL OhMyGod ThumbDown Razz Wink Wub

April 2, Hello Master Charger Plates WannabeesLaugh

Our inspiration for today:

The glory is not in never failing, but in rising every time you fail. (Chinese Proverb)
As it pertains to charger plate, if you screw up, than you get over to Michael's, right away, buy another one, and start over. :)

April 1 Our inspiration today, comes from the following quote:

Take from our hearts, the love of the beautiful, and you take away all the charm of life. (Rousseau)

HAPPY APRIL'S FOOL DAY !!!! Watch out on the boards cause people may try to pull your leg and play jokes on you today[Razz ]

March 31

RETAIL SOURCE FOR CHARGERPLATES WITH PURPLE TABLESCAPE EXAMPLE
http://youtu.be/xk9S20nM0dw
March 30

ATG STAND RETAIL SOURCE
Alicia/post #149
Ms. Melody I got mine here -->> http://atgstands.ecrater.com/p/2256514/atg-stand

March 29

Partners posted. For our greatest inspiration, we need look no further than to our very own partners. Listen carefully to what they have to say and do due dilligence. Don't hold back when telling your partner how you would like your charger plate to look. So who cares what people will think. If you want a depiction of Brad Pitts dieriere, or Fabio's silky hair , then just go for it!!!Laugh

March 28

CHALLENGE #1

Greetings Wonderful Crafters and Charger Plate Adventurers!!! For our Inspiration today, something a little different and there are three of them . This will also be our first challenge .
#1 Brad Pitt
#2 George Clooney
#3 Fabio
Now if you were going to be stuck on an island, who would you choose and why?
Now I would choose Fabio, not that I think he is dreamy or anything like that, but in the hopes he would have some margarine with him, to spread on our cooked meals, so it would taste better. (Still thinking of food here) Of the three, he seems to be the strongest, and would have the most stamina to rub sticks together for fire, and to protect me from the beasties of the night. (Still thinking of Food here.)

PLASTIC TIP
grammaP
--Krylon makes a special paint for plastic

HEALTHY TIP
craftyoldbat

March 27

MAILING TIP

Barbara
it may require some ingenuity ladies ! But, aren't we all crafty GENIUSES ? I learned a long time ago how to take a large cardboard box and a Box knife (you know the kind from a hardware store) and cut the side down and make new flaps and utilize some good ole DUCK TAPE. Depending on how you embellish it, you may find it fits in a 14x14 box that is readily obtained.

BEADED CHARGERPLATES

Hello Ladies, I saw some examples of BEADED PLATES. The beads go all around the rim and I think are added when the plate is actually manufactured. Very very classy and pretty.

March 26

Alicia/Post#18
http://viv-spot.blogspot...or-st-patricks-day.html St. Patrick's Day Charger Plate

BLOG ALERT: Don't forget to check out our members blogs for Inspiration. I am going to visit all of them, and post interesting finds here. Move over Tim Holtz and make room for these talented ladies (Maybe TH should check out these Blogs as wellLOL )

Alicia's Blog: Gorgeous Eggs, you must see this . Soooooooooooooo beautiful I nearly fainted. Then you can check out her flowers too. Picture her eggs or flowers on a plate- visually scrumptious.

Kathy's Blog: Butterflies galore, Oh My!!! You are in for a real treat. They are simply gorgeous.

*CHARGER PLATE RETAIL STORES TIPS

Barbara:
you can buy chargers at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Pier One Imports, Kirklands, Bed Bath & Beyond, and other stores that have home decor items. They are heavy plastic and come in many colors. MIne are a metallic brushed gold color and I got them at Target. You can check online and they may have them even at Walmart... Not expensive at all...Should be less than $5. but someplaces only sell them in sets of 4 to 8. Sometimes you can buy just one, like at Michael's. You may want to wait until you get a partner and see what color she would like.

*GLUE TIPS

Barbara/Post#31
My #1 tip is to remember that while Hot Glue dries fast, it does not hold well on these plates. As many have discovered it does not hold well on ceramic cups and saucers either. Depending on the embellishments, I have found that "Airplane glue" (like is used on models) holds most things well on plastic plates. It is similar to some "Jewelry" glues. If it will hold a non-pourous item, like beads and crystals and repair ceramics, then it most likely is the best glue to use here. JoAnns and Michaels adhesives

Kathy/Post#50
Re getting stuff to stick to this surface,
any area that will be covered can be lightly sanded
to take the shine off and make it more porous, and
I think that would help alot in making adhesives
stick to it!

Burlap Altered Charger Plate She has handmade flowers out of burlap on this one
http://youtu.be/CPxdBasEPWI

Check out this video everyone. Great design ideas, especially the beaded cp with the shells all around the rim for a summer/beach theme.

http://youtu.be/spxFwDHMmdc

Alicia's post #46 A gorgeous charger plate pic, and it isn't even altered yet!
I know!!! I saw it on pintrest and it's from pier1 it actually isn't THAT expensive. http://www.pier1.com/Cat...uage/en-US/Default.aspx

March 25

Kathy requested a pic of the musical pin cushion that lights up. Elements from this craft could easily be applied to our charger plates. So if you want a muscical charger plate,that lights up, go for it (or notHuh ) There is a needle felted element, stick pins,handmade flowers, a music button and an electric candle that flickers. The sheep had a large opening in its's back to accomodate the light, but consider Led lites which are extremely small(I have led lites in the tips of my knitting needles so I can knit in the darkLaugh )

The music button is the sheep's "bustle"

Battery operated candle light, fits in the opening in the sheep's back.

Felted embellies and stick pins could be added to a charger plate as well.( Saw a felted tree in one of the charger videos.)

March 24

Here are some ideas from Alicia (go to Post#5 if links do not work here)Thank you Alicia for getting us off to a flying startWub

http://youtu.be/uo-Rd31W3Wc (mybutterfykisses12 Tutorial: Altered Charger Plate

http://www.etsy.com/list...wall-decor-hand-painted

Jo Pearson made this tutorial for Michael's and has a good demo on Youtube with some interesting examples. She also shares what sealant she likes to use.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2xaSiG8fZo

March 25

Pic of handpainted chargerplate ( pinkrose 1611 Etsy Store )

Charger plate Video!!! Love her snowman plate, with TH technique , she got Chargers for .99 cents as Michaels.
http://youtu.be/MqX3Tk9Zdys

Edited by user Thursday, May 17, 2012 7:45:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

heaven4333 Offline
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 6:15:46 PM(UTC)
heaven4333

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 258 time(s) in 244 post(s)
Wow KM,
I haven't a clue what this swap is about.
Can you explain it a bit?
Sorry I don't even know what a charger plate is...Blushing
Maybe post some pics or tutorials...
CrafteerMisadventures Offline
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 8:02:13 PM(UTC)
CrafteerMisadventures

Groups: Registered, Circle Member
United States

Was thanked: 527 time(s) in 372 post(s)
CricutCrazy Offline
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 8:52:10 PM(UTC)
CricutCrazy

Was thanked: 762 time(s) in 550 post(s)
OF COURSE I WANT TO JOIN !!!! Woot I have done regular plates, but not a charger before....I have several stashed away that I never used !! Wub I love using up my stash !!
KauaiMelody Offline
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 9:00:15 PM(UTC)
KauaiMelody

Hi Kathy and Alicia. Looks like you are all over this Alicia- Thank you!!! I am looking forward to checking out your resources. Kathy, I just discovered charger plates when I saw them at Michael's. They are used under plates when dining, and can become a decorative feature of a table setting. I was amazed at how inexpensive they were (2-3 dollars without a coupon) I have seen them at Pier 1 in silver and gold, but didn't know they came in purple,orange, blue, you name it. Being that I am attracted to shiny colorful objects, I spoke with a crafter at Michael's who said she decorates them and puts them on her walls, and table, and has a set she uses for each holiday. If someone is having a BD or Anniversary celebration she puts it under their plate with their name, decoupaged photos, whatever. She also gives them as gifts. She like Asian too, and said she made themed Charger Plates for her living room walls. I was trying to think of something different to do, and this was certainly it for me, so I thought I'd throw it out there, and see if anyone wanted to learn more about altering these as well..

Alicia, I'm putting you down for a spot. Welcome, you are our first adventurer.

Kathy, are you in? (We'll be learning together.Laugh ) Come and join us.

Have reserved a space to post interesting examples from the web, youtube, pinterest, blogs,your posts etc. so we can have a reference/gallery of sorts, all in one place. It will be the Inspiration site for our swap, as well as a place to learn techniques, and expand our chargerplates adventure.

Edited by user Sunday, March 25, 2012 2:20:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

KauaiMelody Offline
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 9:05:19 PM(UTC)
KauaiMelody

Hi Barbara, so happy to have you join us and share your experience and resources with us about these plates. So glad you're in! I don't even own a charger plate, and am excited to be getting my first one. Do you remember your first one?Laugh
KauaiMelody Offline
#9 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 9:12:51 PM(UTC)
KauaiMelody

Kathy, look at the wonderful list of crafters we have so far. Shall I add you too? The mail date isn't until May 31st, so there is plenty of time to explore this new medium. I'm sure Alicia and Barbara can help us out if we get stuck.

Edited by user Sunday, March 25, 2012 1:07:44 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

CricutCrazy Offline
#10 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 11:08:25 PM(UTC)
CricutCrazy

Originally Posted by: KauiMelody Go to Quoted Post
Hi Barbara, so happy to have you join us and share your experience and resources with us about these plates. So glad you're in! I don't even own a charger plate, and am excited to be getting my first one. Do you remember your first one?Laugh

My first one ??Well, I think I still have it, but it has never been decorated ! I have a whole big stash of them in Gold, which only drag out at Christmas time or a special occasion to place under my good china. I have had them for many years. Once you start using a charger under your china, you will never go back !! They look so wonderful under the plates and protect your good tablecloth too. If my partner does not want a gold one, I will gladly go buy another color, or paint one...no problem. I have decorated plates by using cricut cuts in vinyl...then add some bling and flowers, charms, whatever... I don't have one right now to take a picture of, but I will see if I can dig one up that I stored away.

You know, I must be Cricut Crazy 'cause I already have a LOT on my PLATE !!LOL
demmer993462475657 Offline
#11 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 11:56:47 PM(UTC)
demmer993462475657

United States

Was thanked: 305 time(s) in 278 post(s)
OK melody you twisted my arm.....I am in. The due date is far enough away that I have time to go out and buy some to practice on. No, where do I find them to buy them?

Denise
CricutCrazy Offline
#12 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 12:20:36 AM(UTC)
CricutCrazy

Originally Posted by: DeniseEmmerich Go to Quoted Post
OK melody you twisted my arm.....I am in. The due date is far enough away that I have time to go out and buy some to practice on. No, where do I find them to buy them?

Denise

Denise - you can buy chargers at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, Pier One Imports, Kirklands, Bed Bath & Beyond, and other stores that have home decor items. They are heavy plastic and come in many colors. MIne are a metallic brushed gold color and I got them at Target. You can check online and they may have them even at Walmart... Not expensive at all...Should be less than $5. but someplaces only sell them in sets of 4 to 8. Sometimes you can buy just one, like at Michael's. You may want to wait until you get a partner and see what color she would like.

Melody - Your Title says May 5th is due date, but the narrative says May 31st ???

KauaiMelody Offline
#13 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 12:53:19 AM(UTC)
KauaiMelody

Thank you Barbara for catching that, just changed it.Wub So nice to have a savy charger plate person on board. I am looking forward to getting some of these. What would be your sealant of choice, if you were to seal it? I'm thinking of good old modgepodge.The shelf life on this is crazy. I purchased some over ten years ago, and opened it for the first time this month and it was still good to go.

Welcome to our swap Denise!!! Hope I didn't twist your arm too hard. Now you know , way down deep inside ,you wanted to do this, because, honestly, I barely touched your arm and you were with us.Laugh So glad you decided to come play!!!
KauaiMelody Offline
#14 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 1:03:45 AM(UTC)
KauaiMelody

"You have alot on your plate" LOL Flapper Laugh That is so punny Barbara, now who is the one who should quit their day job and audition at the comedy club.

Alicia, when did you first learn about altering these? I just learned about doing this recently. Guess you have to decide whether it goes on display or under a plate. If it goes under a plate, would have to really think about not making it too bumpy with embellies, like, maybe place charms for example just around the edges. Now if it is going to be displayed on the wall, or on a plate holder for instance, , you could go all out crazy with charms, bling, ribbon, and 3-D embellies everywhere.

Edited by user Sunday, March 25, 2012 9:51:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

KauaiMelody Offline
#15 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 2:25:26 AM(UTC)
KauaiMelody

I hope Kathy joins us. She is an amazing crafter. I am swapping with her now and her items really took my breath away. Now I know why she uses the word heaven for her username. She is also hosting a butterfly swap, which is closed and creating, but you should check it out to see her butterfly design examples. They are exquisite. Might inspire you to put a butterfly or two on your charger plate.

Edited by user Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:21:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

~~Kimber~~ Offline
#16 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 3:13:21 AM(UTC)
~~Kimber~~

Was thanked: 296 time(s) in 194 post(s)
This is so out of my comfort zone. PLease sign me up. Thank you ----- hope whoever i get will like what i do. Thanks for hosting.
heaven4333 Offline
#17 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 5:48:05 AM(UTC)
heaven4333

KM, You are tooooo sweetBlushing
I want to join but will have to make sure
I can get a charger plate here somewhere.
If HL has them then we are in buisness.BigGrin
But they are closed on Sunday so won't be able
to call them until tomorrow.

I am wondering when you said that they can be lit up
how that works?
I'll check out more of the links this afternoon
and call HL in the am. Then let you know for sure
about signing up. Hope that works for you?
Right now I have to get cleaned up and ready for dh
to pick me up for church.
Hugs from heavenLove

Edited by user Sunday, March 25, 2012 5:49:14 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

#18 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 8:28:50 AM(UTC)
CrafteerMisadventures

United States

"You have alot on your plate" LOL Flapper Laugh That is so puny Barbara, now who is the one who should quit their day job and audition at the comedy club.

Alicia, when did you first learn about altering these? I just learned about doing this recently. Guess you have to decide whether it goes on display or under a plate. If it goes under a plate, would have to really think about not making it too bumpy with embellies, like, maybe place charms for example just around the edges. Now if it is going to be displayed on the wall, or on a plate holder for instance, , you could go all out crazy with charms, bling, ribbon, and 3-D embellies everywhere.

Believe it or not, my Grandmother (who introduced me to the wonderful world of crafting) used to alter them with anything she could find. She would give them away for gifts. I did a whole bunch of them for my graduation for my friends. They had a collage of pictures of our adventures throughout the years. I also put memorabilia and notes, etc. it was way back before blogs, so I never thought to take pictures of them. :(

I usually buy mine at Walmart around the holidays. I always the Silver ones and then Spray Paint them to whatever color I need. I use various finishes, but if I'm using pictures, I use Modgpodge, if I have no pictures, but Paint, I use Spray Sealant.

I've also seen them at BIG LOTS. Thrift Stores, Goodwill, etc.....

EDIT: this blog. http://viv-spot.blogspot...for-st-patricks-day.html has a St. patricks day Charger done with paper on the Cricut. actually here whole blog is awesome.H

Edited by user Sunday, March 25, 2012 8:44:15 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

KauaiMelody Offline
#19 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 9:57:07 AM(UTC)
KauaiMelody

Originally Posted by: ~~Kimber~~ Go to Quoted Post
This is so out of my comfort zone. PLease sign me up. Thank you ----- hope whoever i get will like what i do. Thanks for hosting.

Welcome aboard, and join the club. Some of us have never tried this either with a couple of seasoned people in the know (Alicia and Barbara (cricutcrazy) who can hold our hands if we loose our way. Some crafters decorate their plates like a scrapbook page, only round. Some treat them as they would a canvas painting. Collages are popular elements too. I guess, anything goes. So happy you are with us Kimber -now I know I am not the only newbie with this.Laugh
heaven4333 Offline
#20 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:14:54 AM(UTC)
heaven4333

Question, can someone tell me the dimesions of these plates?
I may have something here already that would work, or at least
I had a big gold plate with a shallow bowl. It was gold on one side
and black on the other. I think it was a sort of plastic.
I will have to dig thru the basement to see if I can find it.
If I find it and it's the right thing then I can sign up.BigGrin
KM also wondering how these light up? BTW you are not the only newbie
at this, I am deifinitely a newbie at this too .
KauaiMelody Offline
#21 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:25:02 AM(UTC)
KauaiMelody

Alicia, I can only imagine how gorgeous these plates would look with your amazing handmade flowers. Can I post pics of some of them in the Gallery, of course I will give you all the credit. (Darn, wishI knew how to do this, will have to visit your tutorial on your blog and try this.)

Seriously, everyone should visit Alicia's blog and check out her handmade flower tutorial. I don't know what blew me away more, her spectacular flowers, or the awesome step by step tutorial with pics. It is one of the best tutorials I have ever seen posted in a blog. I hope I am not making Alicia blushBlushing
joysee Offline
#22 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:26:57 AM(UTC)
joysee

United States

Was thanked: 64 time(s) in 62 post(s)
May I join this swap also?

I have never done a charger plate but they look like fun..BigGrin

Thanks!
#23 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:34:07 AM(UTC)
CrafteerMisadventures

United States

Alicia, I can only imagine how gorgeous these plates would look with your amazing handmade flowers. Can I post pics of some of them in the Gallery, of course I will give you all the credit. (Darn, wishI knew how to do this, will have to visit your tutorial on your blog and try this.)

Seriously, everyone should visit Alicia's blog and check out her handmade flower tutorial. I don't know what blew me away more, her spectacular flowers, or the awesome step by step tutorial with pics. It is one of the best tutorials I have ever seen posted in a blog. I hope I am not making Alicia blushBlushing

You are, Blushing , I'm flattered and humbled. Of course you can post pics. And if you all have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

I'm working on a couple more different flowers, and once I'm done, I'll post them. I also have to work n the giant flower cart, to give them a more realistic look.

KauaiMelody Offline
#24 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:36:55 AM(UTC)
KauaiMelody

Originally Posted by: heaven4333 Go to Quoted Post
Question, can someone tell me the dimesions of these plates?
I may have something here already that would work, or at least
I had a big gold plate with a shallow bowl. It was gold on one side
and black on the other. I think it was a sort of plastic.
I will have to dig thru the basement to see if I can find it.
If I find it and it's the right thing then I can sign up.BigGrin
KM also wondering how these light up? BTW you are not the only newbie
at this, I am deifinitely a newbie at this too .

Hi Heaven, the dimensions are usually, a bit larger than a dinner plate so they can protect a table cloth or placemat underneath. I will link a video that shows various chargerplates, and even includes the proper etiquette for using them. She said it's good to know the rules so you can break them!!! I haven't seen any that light up but don't give me any ideas, because as Barbara can tell you, I am prone to make things that I craft light up. My poor partner was sent a pin cushion that not only lights up, but plays music too, and I think her kids are pressing the music button over and over and over and over and over. . .

Hope you sign up Kathy, because I am sending you a chargerplate in your package for our swap to entice you to play with us here !!!Laugh ( Can you tell I would love to have you join us?)
KauaiMelody Offline
#25 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:46:01 AM(UTC)
KauaiMelody

Originally Posted by: joysee Go to Quoted Post
May I join this swap also?

I have never done a charger plate but they look like fun..BigGrin

Thanks!

Joysee, you are in. Welcoming you to our group and trust me , you are not the only one who doesn't have a clue as to just how to go about this. Please pm your full name and addy and feel free to share any resources or pics you discover about chargerplates as there is a learning curve here for some of us and we need all the help we can get.LOL Flapper Scared Razz Laugh
KauaiMelody Offline
#26 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:53:09 AM(UTC)
KauaiMelody

Barbara, do you have any pics of regular plates you have decorated so we have the option of craftlifting from you. I so love the altered cigar box you sent me and wonder if there is a way to use that emboss technique on a charger. Like maybe glue a layer of metal that has been embossed. The glue selection is always the challenge.
KauaiMelody Offline
#27 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:55:43 AM(UTC)
KauaiMelody

Smile New sign-ups caught up to here.
KauaiMelody Offline
#28 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:36:24 AM(UTC)
KauaiMelody

Originally Posted by: heaven4333 Go to Quoted Post
KM, You are tooooo sweetBlushing
I want to join but will have to make sure
I can get a charger plate here somewhere.
If HL has them then we are in buisness.BigGrin
But they are closed on Sunday so won't be able
to call them until tomorrow.

I am wondering when you said that they can be lit up
how that works?
I'll check out more of the links this afternoon
and call HL in the am. Then let you know for sure
about signing up. Hope that works for you?
Right now I have to get cleaned up and ready for dh
to pick me up for church.
Hugs from heavenLove

I saw these lit up for Christmas Decorations, regular string of tiny lites wrapped around perimeter and then plugged in. Also, crafters who use blinking led lights on pins, and then work them into the design, and display them on a table. These are the exception. Most are just plain shiny plastic plates, for 2-3 dollars, (Michael's had a sale for $1.50 each) but some are very pricey. Will post some fancy ones, too, as they are can give us good ideas for possible designs. Just think, after this swap, we will all be Master Crafters of Chargerplates Laugh . I will give everyone a certificate in Calligraphy, attesting to that , suitable for framing, at the end of this swap.
heaven4333 Offline
#29 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:50:33 AM(UTC)
heaven4333

Hi Heaven, the dimensions are usually, a bit larger than a dinner plate so they can protect a table cloth or placemat underneath. I will link a video that shows various chargerplates, and even includes the proper etiquette for using them. She said it's good to know the rules so you can break them!!! I haven't seen any that light up but don't give me any ideas, because as Barbara can tell you, I am prone to make things that I craft light up. My poor partner was sent a pin cushion that not only lights up, but plays music too, and I think her kids are pressing the music button over and over and over and over and over. . .

Hope you sign up Kathy, because I am sending you a chargerplate in your package for our swap to entice you to play with us here !!!Laugh ( Can you tell I would love to have you join us?)

Wow a musical lit up pin cushion, is it on your blog? I gotta see this!
Okay I will sign up if you sending one in my Eatser package....BigGrin
you are something else.Love And we get certificates too, LOL, have I told
you that I love your caligraphy? I am sooo jealous cause my handwriting stinks.
I have made my ds or dd write things for me before cause my handwriting is NOT pretty.Blushing

I love the painted one above and that Christmas one...really gorgeous!
BTW I rooted around in the basement but the gold/black one was NOT foundGlare
Beam me up scotty!Flapper

Edited by user Sunday, March 25, 2012 11:55:26 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

KauaiMelody Offline
#30 Posted : Sunday, March 25, 2012 12:59:26 PM(UTC)
KauaiMelody

Hurray!!! Kathy has decided to join us. OK, I beamed you up. Hope you made it . I am posting lots of pics of my pin cushion that lights up and plays music on my blog tonite. Will post some here on the boards too.
DIY has a group of crafters that like to lite stuff up. They have been my inspiration for these endeavors. Thank you for the calligraphy compliment. It is so relaxing to do and I try to practice regularly, so it will help me not to get rusty, if I make these for everyone. As it pertains to crafting, it is nice to be able to write a sentiment in calligraphy if you do not have a stamp or do not feel like printing it out from the computer, or are crafting away from your supplies. It's so appreciated by the recipient, and that further encourages me to write this way Smile

Edited by user Tuesday, March 27, 2012 3:59:23 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified